Friday 13 September 2013

Grass Fed Beef

Seeing as we're FINALLY starting to see the shelves holding the food in the freezers, along with my accumulated disgust for the off- and weird-looking muscle meats mum gets from the moderately sized supermarket down the road, I decided to take charge and pick myself up a quarter of a grass fed cow.

Now, I haven't actually got it yet (or ordered it!), but I'm ultra excited. And mum's all like ''It's going to take up so much room in the freezer! You don't understand how much room it'll take up! Whinge whinge whinge!" That's why I eat my mango ice cream after every meal, silly.

During my procrastination session today, I found a study about wild ruminant fat and it's here for all those geeks out there (like me) who love to pretend they can understand all the fancy schmancy scientific speak.

I read the hypothesis, which said that, if a pre-agriculturist (ie Grok) got most of his fat from an animal (which would have been a wild ruminant at the time, such as a wild boar), his dietary fat would be based on whatever was in that fat. I love how they differentiated between wild and CAFO meat here, because it's already obvious to them that CAFO meat has a skewed fat content.

The results? Um, ok, so I don't want to go into what's under the title 'Results', but some of it said that bone marrow is mostly monounsaturated fat, brain has the lowest omega-6 : omega-3 ratio (I think?? I'm just guessing that's what n-6 and n-3 are), and there's about 1% of conjugated linolic acid (CLA) in marrow and none in brains.

They concluded that whatever they actually found here - I could've very easily have interpreted that all wrong pretending I can read fancy schmancy scientific speak - is very similar to pastured meat, but not the same as grain-fed meat. Two things from that: what is their definition of 'pastured', and since this experiment was on elk, deer and antelope, who's farming, selling and/or eating grain-fed antelope?

No comments:

Post a Comment